Sunday, 5 April 2015

Some Birds for Your Viewing Pleasure

First up, and the one I'm happiest with, is the Bassian Thrush. This was spotted at Fern Glade near Burnie, Tasmania. When disturbed they often run a few metres or fly to a low branch and then stand still pretending you cannot see them. Theoretically this should give one an opportunity to grab a shot. The problem is they are usually deep among the tree ferns or some other very dark place making photography rather difficult. This one was foraging among the leaf litter and slowly worked it's way out into a slightly more open area. Out of half a dozen shots this was the only one that was at least worth keeping.


Bassian Thrush,  Zoothera lunulata, lurking in the shadows, at Fern Glade, Burnie, Tasmania



Next up is one of Tasmania's endemics, the Yellow-throated Honeyeater. This was at the George Town Wildlife Sanctuary.

Yellow-throated Honeyeater, Lichenostomus flavicollis  at George Town, Tasmania


I put in a big effort to get this next photograph traveling at least 50 metres on foot into one of the deepest, darkest, corners of my backyard.

Spotted Pardalote, Pardalotus punctatus, in the Backyard


The last shot is not so recent. It was taken back in October at Granite Island, off Victor Harbour, in South Australia.

Female Nankeen Kestrel, Falco cenchroides on Granite Island, S.A

16 comments:

  1. Great photos of all the birds but the one I would like to see the most is the Pardalote - so different from the ones I see up here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mick. This one seems a bit yellower around the face than normal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely birds captured beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have been happy for each of those birds. I think I saw the Pardalott when I visited Queensland last September. :)



    ReplyDelete
  5. The Bassian Thrush has just wonderful camouflaged plumage. I guess any attempt at taking pictures is fraught with difficulty. I do like your Nankeen Kestrel - like a delicate version of our European Kestrel. A lovely portrait.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous captures. Congrats on persevering to get that great shot of the Thrush.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love the Spotted Pardalote. Very nice captures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think I would have spotted that Thrush as it is so well camouflaged. I am always interested the variety of birds from other parts of the world so thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful birds, beautiful photos!
    Thanks for sharing at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2015/04/bluebird-breakfast.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are all beautiful birds and wonderful photos.. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Each bird unique and wonderful! great photos! Loved the thrush!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous imaage of the Thrush. I saw one a number of years agao in a forest while in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous imaage of the Thrush. I saw one a number of years agao in a forest while in Australia.

    ReplyDelete